Jon Stewart Says Goodbye: Jon Voyage
Last night, Jon Stewart, host of The Daily Show, aired his final episode. After 16 years of pointing out politics’ hypocrisies, it was an emotional goodbye not only for him, but also for his cult fan base whom he has acquired during his tenure. He was accompanied by a great deal of many familiar faces, including Daily Show alum Steve Carell, who joked that he had never really left The Daily Show, Bruce Springsteen, the E Street Band, Larry Wilmore, and Jon Stewart’s successor on the show, comedian Trevor Noah.
Along with Stephen Colbert’s heartfelt speech, Jon Stewart’s last episode was filled with moments that had you glued to your TV screen – without a thought in mind to change the channel. With his calming demeanor, Jon has made uncomfortable subjects comfortable to talk about. He had a seemingly natural ability to take the most infuriating topics and make you laugh not just at him, with his sui generis facial expressions, but also at the same topic that just recently was filling you with frustration. For that, he is to be thanked and remembered.
We naturally have gathered the top moments of last night’s airing, and we have them for you today.
5. Past Daily Show correspondents report on the Republican Debate. Highlighted among these esteemed alumni are Steve Carell and his wife Nancy, who have been “waiting” 12 years for their next Daily Show assignment.4. Jon Stewart thanks his family and his fans and viewers, saying he considers his career “a long conversation with the audience.”
3. Stephen Colbert bids Jon goodbye by comparing their relationship to Sam (Colbert) and Frodo (Stewart).2. Jon walks through the Daily Show office to introduce his staff.
1. Jon’s final monologue concerns the best defense against bullsh*&%, which he summarizes in one word: Vigilance.Of course, with all the attention garnered for the event, advertisements were not a cheap slot. We also have the top ten ad spots and the commercials that filled them while The Daily Show was paying its bills. Enjoy!
Top Ad Spots
10. 11:49pm – An Hyundai commercial promoting the all new Hyundai Tucson
9. 11:49pm – Summer streaming on Hulu
8. 11:50pm – Booking.com telling, “It’s summer. Wing it.”
7. 11:48pm – Apartments.com commercial with Jeff Goldblum
6. 11:50pm – T-Mobile ad with Joel McHale
5. 11:47pm – Steve Jobs movie trailer
4. 11:51pm – Hitman: Agent 47 movie trailer
3. 11:42pm – Key & Peele final six episodes promotion
2. 11:25pm – The Man from U.N.C.L.E. movie trailer
1. 11:25pm – Modelo Especial beer commercial
And those are the TiVo® Top Moments from last night’s airing. Hope you enjoyed Jon’s final episode!
Source: TiVo Research
Methodology: This TiVo Research analysis was prepared using aggregated, anonymous, second-by-second audience measurement data from approximately 30,000 anonymous households out of our daily sample of 350,000 subscribers to the Emmy® Award-winning TiVo service. TiVo Research gauges the interest in programming content by measuring the percentage of the TiVo audience watching in “play” speed. TiVo Research determined the Top Moments from the final Daily Show with Jon Stewart that resonated most with our subscribers.
TiVo is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. or its subsidiaries worldwide. Emmy is a registered trademark of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.