With Mother’s Day around the corner – Sunday, May 10, for all those who might have forgotten – it is time to start thinking about what gifts could possibly be worthy enough for each deserving mother in your life. If you are thinking of a TV-related gift, TiVo Research and Analytics, Inc. has something that might help! The results are in from TRA’s annual Mother’s Day survey. Here are 10 things to know about moms this year!
1. Moms are conceding control of the remote to dads this year. Sunday, May 10, may be a good day to reinstate her position as “ruler of the remote” and “queen of the couch.”
2. Perhaps having your kids be on their best behavior on that special Sunday would be just what the doctor ordered for Mom. If so, turn to Modern Family’s Manny Delgado for advice. More than 40 percent of mothers nationwide would rather have Manny over other TV kids as their child.
3. On the other hand, steer clear of Kylie Jenner. More than 62 percent of moms consider the youngest sister of the Kardashian clan a bad influence.
4. Even if Spongebob Squarepants is your all-time favorite show, you may want to mute the intro theme song. One out of every three moms nationwide can live without hearing about the pineapple under the sea.
5. Forces as strong as a mother’s love for her children are little to none. Indeed, most moms would rather spend Mother’s Day doing what they love with their kids instead of being pampered all day.
6. Sometimes moms may need a quick TV break to rest, recuperate and recharge. After flipping through the familiar syndicated re-runs, most moms will end up re-watching Law & Order.
7. While moms dub the Pritchett/Dunphy families from Modern Family the most modern family (makes sense), they can never get enough of a good ole blast-from-the-past of their favorite classic family, the Tanners from Full House.
8. Need a chef to treat that special mother to a scrumptious meal? How about Chef Bobby Flay? After all, he is the top chef moms prefer to cook their family meals.
9. How about a weekend Mother’s Day outing? To Las Vegas? You’d better be sure to bring Peggy Bundy from Married with Children along, first choice for a Vegas travel buddy for moms nationwide.
10. Last but not least, the one result we’ve all been waiting for: this year’s hottest TV dad! A wise mother once said to always wear lipstick because you never know when you might meet the man of your dreams. He could be an ad agency exec in a fancy suit. Or how about a zombie hunter that gets down and dirty? No, this year, moms would rather be swept off their feet by their favorite sexy surgeon, Mark “McSteamy” Sloan from Grey’s Anatomy!
TiVo Mother’s Day Collections
Visit TiVo Collections to find two Mother’s Day collections: Our Favorite Moms and Like Mother, Like Daughter.
TiVo’s Mother’s Day Survey was conducted online with a nationally representative sample of moms and dads, ages 18-75. Survey responses were gathered from March 24-26, 2015. A total of 603 nationally representative moms and 402 nationally representative dads participated in the survey.