Jimmy Fallon First “Tonight Show” – Top Moments
We had more than just “Ordinary Love” for Jimmy Fallon last night, as he hosted his first episode of The Tonight Show. It started off with a number of well-known celebrities dumping bills – and pennies – on his desk, continued with a little hip-hop history courtesy of Will Smith, and ended with a performance by U2 and The Roots. All in all, the sequence of events very much embodied how the new NBC late night host plans on running his show: New host, Old show. The Tonight Show is back in its original home in NYC, and according to Fallon, will be most similar to The Tonight Show under the original host: Steve Allen.
So which moments did viewers take to the most? It looks like those who tuned in might have been of a relatively younger demographic. As identified by TiVo Research and Analytics, TiVo’s Top Five most watched moments of Jimmy Fallon’s first Tonight Show were as follows:
- 12:14am – Sitting at his desk for the first time, Jimmy said, “To my buddy who said that I’d never host the Tonight Show, and you know who you are, you owe me 100 bucks buddy.” Out walks, in order, the following people putting $100 dollars on the desk; Robert De Niro, Tina Fey, Joe Namath, Rudy Giuliani, Mariah Carey, Tracy Morgan, Joan Rivers, Kim Kardashian, Seth Rogen, Lindsay Lohan, Sarah Jessica Parker, Mike Tyson, Lady Gaga, and Stephen Colbert who pays him with a bucket of pennies.
- 12:03am – During his opening monologue, Jimmy introduces his parents in the audience, Jim and Gloria Fallon, and after the camera pans to them a few rows back quips, “I wish I could have gotten you better seats, but it is a very hot show dad.”
- 12:22am – Jimmy Fallon and Will Smith perform “The Evolution of Hip-Hop Dancing.”
- 12:33am – Will Smith comes out as the first guest and tells Jimmy he could not handle all the pressure you have, “I mean, everything is riding on tonight!”
- 12:39am – Jimmy shows pictures of Will skydiving in Dubai with his instructor above him. Will says, “I didn’t like the dude being on me, but you know.”