In 1992, Jay Leno took over Johnny Carson’s role as host of NBC’s late-night show. Last night, 22 years later, he’s signing off – and with quite a bang. On his final night of the ‘best job in show business’, his lineup would’ve given the big-dipper a run for its money: Oprah Winfrey, Billy Crystal, Kim Kardashian, Garth Brooks, Cheryl Crowe and Jack Black all preceded the concluding monologue which was complete with tears, jokes and a hand-off to Jimmy Fallon to take over the reins.
So amid all of the action, which moments garnered the most attention? According to TiVo Research and Analytics, TiVo’s Top Five most watched moments for Jay Leno’s final Tonight Show were:
- 11:41pm – Jay said he will miss most “…all the politicians we have had fun with over the years” and showed a video clip of his favorite moments.
- 11:53pm – Jay shows a video of famous celebrities telling him what he should do next in life. Top moment of the video is Martha Stewart with some seductive suggestions.
- 11:59pm – Billy Crystal joins the show and shares of litany of Jay’s best topical jokes over the years. Then Billy says, “So let me get this straight, you’re moving to 9 o’clock? I have to get it straight for the TiVo.”
- 12:14am – Billy Crystal, Jack Black, Kim Kardashian, Chris Paul, Sheryl Crow, Jim Parsons, Carol Burnett and Oprah Winfrey all sing a parody of The Sound of Music’s “So Long, Farewell” to Jay.
- 12:32am – During Jay’s heartfelt goodbye speech he wishes Jimmy Fallon well and then quotes Johnny Carson, from his final Tonight Show, “I bid you all a heartfelt goodnight.”