The 21st Annual ESPY Awards
Last night, we tuned in to the ESPYs, an awards show dedicated to celebrating the achievements of athletes and sports teams. Actor John Hamm hosted the show, bringing with him a wide repertoire of well-known presenters and special guests.
The ESPYs put the winners in the hands of the fans. Voting was open to all, giving fans a chance to vote for their favorites in each category right until the show started.
Some of the top winners were:
- Best Male Athlete: LeBron James, Miami Heat
- Best Female Athlete: Serena Williams, Women’s Tennis
- Best Breakthrough Athlete: Colin Kaepernick, Quarterback of the San Francisco 49ers
- Best Team: Miami Heat
- Best Coach: Rick Pitino, Louisville coach
- Best Upset: Florida Gulf Coast beating No. 2 Georgetown, Men’s NCAA Basketball
- Best Moment: Jack Hoffman TD at Nebraska spring game
Two of our favorite awards to watch are the Arthur Ashe Award and the Jimmy V Perseverance Award. Both awards go to sports figures that have shown the utmost determination in overcoming obstacles. Last year’s Arthur Ashe Award Winner went to former Tennessee Women’s College Basketball Coach, Pat Summit. Summit continued coaching throughout the season despite being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. Taking home the Jimmy V Perseverance Award in 2012 was Eric Legrand, a college football player who was paralyzed in a freak accident during a game, but continues to be an inspiration off the field.
A full list of winners and their accomplishments can be found here: http://espn.go.com/espys/2013/
Who were your favorite winners from last night?