TiVo and Charter Announce Next Generation TV Strategy
TiVo and Charter have announced a multi-year agreement that will leverage the TiVo user interface to bring an enhanced entertainment experience to customers using a hybrid platform that leverages traditional cable and next generation IP technologies. The initial phase is expected to launch in multiple markets later this year and will utilize TiVo’s latest generation high definition user interface and TiVo Premiere set top box, as well as upcoming multi-room and non-DVR platforms. Through this agreement, Charter is making a significant commitment to deploy the TiVo service to enable an enhanced television experience for consumers.
The strategy will utilize TiVo’s latest generation high definition user interface and TiVo Premiere set top box, as well as upcoming multi-room and non-DVR platforms. Beyond the initial phase, the strategy will encompass next generation platforms that will expand the service with new devices, features, and third party applications – all enhanced by TiVo’s highly regarded discovery, search, navigation and recommendation features which allow Charter customers to experience the best of traditional and next generation television, including linear TV, video on demand, vast libraries of Internet-delivered video and IP applications.
The following features are planned for the initial product:
- TiVo’s high-definition user interface including integrated search: Instantly scans across all channels and sources, including TV, VOD, and available online content, to help find what customers want to watch
- Web applications: Allows customers to access local news, sports and weather, as well as Facebook and Twitter™ updates, right from the TV
- OnDemand: Offers access to thousands of hours of video from Charter’s OnDemand library, including 900+ high-definition titles
- Online: Internet video from top destinations
- iPad app: Serves as command central, with an ability to browse the program guide and recorded shows, schedule recordings, post on Facebook or Twitter, schedule, search and browse for shows from anywhere, and much more
- Control live TV: Allows pause, rewind, slow-motion, and instant replay functions during live TV
- Multiroom DVR: View a common list of recordings and playback recorded content throughout the home, pause a recorded program in one room and resume playback in another, use trick-play functions on recorded content and delete recordings from any room*
- Remote Management: Search and schedule recordings from the Web or from a mobile phone
- TiVoToGo™ transfers: Transfer photos and movies from a personal computer to the TiVo Premiere, for viewing on the TV set; or from the TiVo Premiere to a laptop, media device, or smart phone, for viewing outside the home*
- Automatic recordings: Records favorite shows each week with Season Pass® recordings on the TiVo Premiere. In addition, WishList® searches will find and record suggested programs based on customer interests
- Content storage: Records up to 45 hours of high-definition (HD) programming or up to 400 hours of standard-definition programming — equivalent to more than 16 days of content
- Full HD support: Offers full support for 1080p and 1080i HD formats
* Only video programming without copy restrictions may be transferred using multi-room viewing or TiVoToGo.